- The education records of current and former students at Alfaisal University are maintained as confidential records.
- Students have the right of access to their own education records as hereinafter set forth, and personally identifiable education records of students are not released to persons, agencies, or organizations without the consent of the student unless release is authorized by law and by this university.
II. DIRECTORY INFORMATION
- Directory information concerning students is treated as public information and is released to the public unless otherwise requested by the student.
- “Directory information” includes the following:
- the student’s name,
- email address,
- telephone listing,
- date and place of birth,
- class schedule,
- full-time/part-time status,
- major field of study,
- participation in officially recognized activities and sports,
- dates of attendance,
- the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student, and
- the degrees and awards received by the student.
- At the time a student registers for courses, the student may request in writing that any or all directory information concerning the student not be released as public information.
- This request shall be made each semester to remain in effect.
- If the student does not wish directory information to be released, the student’s name will not appear in public listings released by the college such as Dean’s List, or Graduation list.
III. STUDENT RIGHTS
- A student’s right to access his/her education records includes the right to inspect and review content of such records.
- A request by a student for access to his/her education records should be directed to the Dean of Student Affairs, Admissions, and Registration and will be granted within a reasonable period of time not to exceed 45 days after the request has been made.
- The student has the right to seek amendment of the records that the student believes to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights.
- Any student who believes that information contained in the education records is inaccurate or misleading or violates the privacy rights of the student may request that the records be amended.
- After a reasonable period of time, if the university decides to refuse to amend the education records, the student shall be informed in writing and shall be advised by the Dean of Student Affairs, Admissions, and Registration of his or her right to a hearing and the procedures for the hearing.
IV. RELEASE OF INFORMATION TO OTHERS
- Information concerning education records which is personally identifiable with a particular student, other than directory information shall not be released to persons, agencies, or organizations other than those hereinafter described unless:
- There is written consent from the student specifying the records to be released, the reason for the release, and to whom the information is to be released, with a copy to the student if requested; or
- Such information is furnished in compliance with a judicial order or subpoena, provided that advance notice of the receipt of the order or subpoena shall be provided to the student prior to compliance, if possible. Personally identifiable education records may be released to other college officials of the university, including members of the faculty who have legitimate educational interest.
- In addition, such information may be released to the following described persons, agencies, and organizations:
- Alfaisal University officials — A university official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position; a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agency); a person serving on staff at the Alfaisal University Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee or assisting another college official in performing his or her tasks excluding access to student grades and Student Information related systems. A university official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility;
- Officials of other colleges in which the student seeks or intends to enroll;
- Auditors or evaluators of compliance with educational programs, including accrediting agencies;
- Those involved in connection with a student’s application for receipt of financial aid;
- Organizations conducting studies on behalf of the university;
- Appropriate persons in connection with an emergency if such knowledge is necessary to protect the health or safety of a student or other person;
- Law enforcement officials in compliance with a judicial order or subpoena;
- Directory information;
A record of access shall be maintained by the university reflecting all individual agencies or organizations having requested or obtained access to a student’s education records and specifying the legitimate interest of the party obtaining the information; this record shall be available to the student.